Monday, August 16, 2010

How To Get a New Minivan



Have you ever wondered how to convince yourself or your spouse that it really is time for a new vehicle? Well, I think that we have found the way. On our trip to Arizona the transmission in our Taurus went out. The car had been acting a little funny, but I figured that was just because it was the Taurus. It only had about 84,000 miles on it. Not low miles but I figured we still had a while before we needed to buy a new car. As we were driving on the 10 the check engine light went on so we pulled into the next exit which happen to be a rest stop. As we were parking the car all of the transmission fluid drained out of the car. I was so grateful that we were traveling with my parents and uncle because they were able to look and know there was something wrong with the transmission. We knew we were going to need a tow. Lucky for us again my parents were with us and my mom could use her phone to find us a tow truck company. We called and they said it would be about 45 minutes. I don't know how long it actually took it just seemed like a really long time. Especially because it was 118 degrees and the only shade was under a mesquite tree. There were not a lot of places that were still open so we ended up towing our car to the Ford dealership, renting a car and driving the rest of the way to Tucson. Later that night we got the news the transmission was wrecked and it would cost 3,700 dollars to replace. Sadly this is about what the car was worth. The next morning we call a transmission place and even to patch up the current transmission is would be 1,500 dollars. Friday morning we decided to head into Casa Grande. Here we were 668 miles from home trying to decide what to do. It wasn't in the plan but as we arrived at the dealership we decided to look at new cars. We found one that we loved! The worries of making it home were now gone. As a bonus we could still go to Disneyland and not wait around in Arizona for our car to be fixed. As crazy as it seems I believe we were really blessed and watched over. It may not have been ideal but everything worked out.

1 comment:

Michelle Stott said...

Wow! Crazy but I am glad you got a new car out of it.